Gaming Galaxy
Welcome to The Galaxy of Gaming. If you are reading this then you are Looking over Our Forum and I hope you like what you see! If you do decide to register then look at the rules, Stay active and Enjoy yourself!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Gaming Galaxy
Welcome to The Galaxy of Gaming. If you are reading this then you are Looking over Our Forum and I hope you like what you see! If you do decide to register then look at the rules, Stay active and Enjoy yourself!
Gaming Galaxy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gaming Galaxy - Review

+3
Mystic_gohan
Black Star
TimothyPerkins
7 posters

Go down

Gaming Galaxy - Review Empty Gaming Galaxy - Review

Post by TimothyPerkins 11th October 2010, 2:38 pm

Forum's Appearance and Design (20 marks)
I feel like there is a big struggle to make the community noticed, a lot of ideas that may look good separated but together gives a chaotic impression for your first time visitors. I can see how the idea of the Galaxy wants to be applied here.
I am not going to be picky on your banner, and I like the buttons and the opacity effect in them when you hover your mouse, however it worries me their size, as I am almost certain that with a registered member it fills more than one row, and if they doesn't then your forum could be deformed. This is supposition as i didn't create an account to prove it, so I leave it up to you. How does the bar looks when you are a member? The best is too keep it simple and one line.
You have active the welcome message, and while making it transparent might seem like a cool thing, it is extremely hard to read and people have to scroll down in order to find a one colored spot where they can read it.
- Idea One: You could substitute the message with an image and seek in forumotion assistance a code to take off the border and buttons. I think it could be pretty original and would look good.
- Idea two: Just pass the block of text to an png image and add some colored border or glow, it will be more readable without having to scroll or change the code that make it transparent.
This is an example of where I see two good ideas collide for being together:
Your skin doesn't have a colour to surround your sections, that's fine and is a nice idea, but don't do it with a vibrant kind of background, I have to select text in order to read what is going on in your boards. So you have two or three options around. First try to mess with the font color, maybe changing it to a lighter colour will solve the visibility, maybe not, the idea is that you have to view all text clearly. The second option is that you add the border that contain the forum header and footer so the text can be readable, you can even set an opacity through CSS to said border to make it blend some with the background, that way your galaxy banner under will be somewhat visible and the light border will help your statistics and similar text can be read as well. the third option is perhaps the easier one: substitute the banner or at least modify it with a lighter mask for something lighter. Don't try all at the same time, just pick what goes better with your forum according to you (and/or staff).
Overall the design part, in my opinion needs a lot of work. But don't worry it is by experimenting that you learn and become better.

Score - 13/20

Forum's Layout and Categorization(20 marks)
I like the category headers, the icons, the poll swords.
I don't have any complain to the structure of your forum, it has what it needs to start. I also noticed the favicon, so I can see there has been energy poured in this place, details like this are easily noticed and gives the hope of an admin caring for the forum and because of that, the forum seems more likely to last. of course other things also helps us reach or scratch that conclusion, but every bit help.
GFX world, as an acronym I think a brief description to the area would be appropriate not everyone is aware of what it means, and given that descriptions are in other areas it even strikes as odd this one doesn't, try to be more uniform with that. If you don't like descriptions, you can always make a sticky with guidelines about what is this area for. there are some zero zones that helps that unfinished aspect of your boards. Don't wait for your members to start them try to get you or your staff break the ice there, specially in the news, bring some news to break the ice, or make a contest about whoever brings the best new will win something to spark some of your members to attempt to fill out the zone. If you don't have any debate idea do the cliches, if there are some kind of topics to be avoided in that area make a sticky with the guidelines of "do"s and "don't"s. Getting rid of those zeroes will make your community seem more active and cared for.
You might also like to change the global announcement with the same icon than announcement, as the difference between it and the rest of the icons is very drastic and doesn't look good.
Score - 16/20

Forum's Activity and Amount Of Users Online (20 marks)
Right now it looks very nice, one member was online as well as another guest. More than five people were online not long ago and for a forum with less than twenty members it is remarkable in a good way. I also noticed most areas have been answered during the past 72 hours which is nice. As well as noticing the last nine post at least are from today.
Your forum is really young and normally is hard to make any conclusive results, activity levels can change so easily because of the few members around. But if you know this has been the case lately, it is a great sign in favour of your place.
Score - 19/20

Forum's Posts Count and Members(20 marks)
You have almost 200 messages and 13 members, which makes an average of 15 posts per member, more or lest,this is just a ratio. You are who knows who many of this posts are the staff doing and which ones are the members, when starting out it is natural the staff has the majority. I would like to tell you more but I can't see your member list, still from the threads I opened I saw mostly accounts with 10-20 posts, which is excellent!
once again I can't really add more, this area seems under control, and i think it is a perfect time to advertise and try to make your forum grow in members and threads.

Score - 19/20

Forum's Spelling and Grammar (20 marks)
In GXF it should say "competitions" no compititions.
In developer's Diary/Feedback: get rid of the comma before the 'and'. unless you're deliberately adding suspense you don't need a comma when using 'and'.

Score 17/20

Final Comments
It is noticeable to me the little nest this project is and how their members are having a good time with it, that is where the satisfaction comes from, improving the visuals will help that more people outside of the communities you know take more time to see your place around. I can see that it is a nice place to be and whoever is lucky to see past the graphics and find the warm little community you got will not regret their choice. So keep it up, little by little the place will keep improving.
I also noticed that some of my comments go against some of your members, as with everything it is a matter of taste and opinion. Do what makes you feel happy and tranquil, and when in doubt keep talking with your members (including staff), it is never the same the outsider view, and the ultimate goal is that your members enjoy their stay. I wrote the review doing my best to be of help for you. I hope you find it useful. Either way let me know by rating my work. It will help me a lot. Have a nice day and best of lucks, mate.

Total Marks Upon 100 = 84/100
TimothyPerkins
TimothyPerkins

http://timothyperkins.phpbb.net/

Back to top Go down

Gaming Galaxy - Review Empty Re: Gaming Galaxy - Review

Post by Black Star 11th October 2010, 11:01 pm

hmm 84/100 is that good? because if only the first one Sad But it looks good.
Black Star
Black Star

https://gaming-galaxy.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic_gohan 12th October 2010, 3:31 am

^^^ yeah really good . Some times active forums get 59 or something .

Mystic_gohan

Back to top Go down

Post by mikefx 12th October 2010, 10:15 am

Yeh thats pretty good for a new forum, well done guys.
mikefx
mikefx

Back to top Go down

Post by kabogh 13th October 2010, 12:18 am

WOW!84%,
Its very better than my math note!(25%,yes I know I have a problem)
kabogh
kabogh

Back to top Go down

Post by elite1 16th October 2010, 4:05 am

i think the website is pritty good
elite1
elite1

Back to top Go down

Post by TimothyPerkins 16th October 2010, 4:18 am

Thanks Elite.